Public Water Now is a community-based organization committed to achieving the lowest cost, sustainable water supply for the Monterey Peninsula through public ownership. Public Water Now is a non-profit 501(c) (4) organization.
Our goal is public ownership of our water supply, including any future desalination facilities, and the distribution system currently owned by the California American Water Company.
We want a rate structure that is fair, equitable and affordable for all water users served by this system. We invite you to embrace these goals and join us in achieving them.
PWN was responsible for the drafting of ballot initiative, measure O, for voters to decide if they wanted to acquire Cal Am’s assets and make the water service a publicly owned enterprise. Measure O was placed on the June 2014 ballot, but Cal Am mounted a $2.5 million dollar campaign against it and it was defeated 55% to 45%.
Since then PWN has embarked on a program to educate the community on various water issues facing the Monterey Peninsula. We sponsor free monthly public forums on current water issues.
Public Water Now is a community-based organization committed to achieving the lowest cost, sustainable water supply for the Monterey Peninsula through public ownership.
1. Public ownership of the water supply and distribution system on the Monterey Peninsula
2. Oppose excessive costs imposed on ratepayers by Cal Am’s monopoly ownership
3. Educate the community on water-related issues and PWN's goals
4. Advocate to public officials on water-related issues that impact Cal Am ratepayers
1. Promote lower cost desal through competition
2. Oppose Cal Am proposals that transfer certain corporate costs and fines onto ratepayers.
3. Elect supportive public officials
4. Plan a new initiative that advances the mission
5. Expand the capability of Public Water Now